Saturday, May 6, 2017

Thing 41: Anything Goes Google

I started by looking at DocStickers: A Docs + Keep Integration for Old School feedback.  These seem interesting, but I haven't fully embraced the Google Classroom yet.  I'm working my way, but... Depending on how my sixth grade classes end up going, I may do it next year.  I certainly could have gone fully with Google Classroom this year as most of my lessons are in Google Drive.  Aside from sixth grade, I am currently having my second and third graders type in Google Docs, so I am doing a lot of commenting there to help them revise.   I'm not sure if I should DocSticker them before they are completed or not.  A thought to ponder.

DocStickers are based on Google Keep which I had heard mention of, but not used.  That led me to read 10 ways Google Keep can help streamline life at school.  I am definitely interested in this tool.  I also checked out Using Google Keep for Grading Comments in Docs which is from the Control Alt Achieve blog.  (I have been to this blog before and Eric Curts really seems to have a lot of valuable posts on it.) I am going to email one of the HS English teachers to be sure that she knows about Google Keep for Grading Comments as I know she likes to comment on or mark papers on her tablet at home.

I had already decided to check out Spreadsheet Activities for all Subjects which is from the same blog.  It mentioned Flippity which I already posted on, but also has Random Generators, too.  Flippity has a random student generator tool, but you have to publish your spreadsheet to the web and hence to the world to do it.  I just worry about putting student names out there. Obviously every John doesn't matter so long as you don't add last names, but there are students with much more unique names  in school too and since parents are now saying that they don't even want us to take a picture of their child much less publish them to the web, I don't want to be in a sticky situation.  Since the students already have Google accounts through the district, using a Random Generator on Google Drive is not creating any more vulnerability.



I decided to check out How to Create an ebook with Google Slides because I wondered it I could share student work that way.  I would love to post some of the research projects that my students have been creating on my website.  Here is the link to a sample eBook I made with Google Slides.  It explains some of my thinking: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5r5qV7yug_iZ01XNkU1RnF0Y2s/view?usp=sharing

I have finally really used Google Classroom with my students. I always have big plans, but I guess I was concerned about the roll-out of it.  I used it with my fifth graders to create the citation pages for their ecosystem inquiry projects.  I made a template though it wasn’t quite right because it didn’t say where they were to place their copy.  I have to do some more reading on this before next year, but I think that I will try to use Google Classroom more.  It certainly was easier in some ways than my guided citation lessons.  I wrote the descriptions of how to do each step into the template (then told them to erase the directions when they were done) so that if they failed to listen +/or watch as I demonstrated on the SMARTboard, they still had a fallback. Not that any of my students would ever daydream. 😃

I also really got into using suggesting and commenting on Google Docs this spring.  I had my second and third graders type their projects into Google Docs.  Then, I went through each one suggesting the convention corrections (spelling, punctuation, grammar) and commenting on missing information (topic sentences, concluding sentences, details, etc.) All in all it was pretty successful, though an awful lot of work. The link to Google Classroom: Pull Student Paragraphs and Give Feedback caught my eye.  I will want to look at it again, but I don’t think it will work for these second and third graders as it doesn’t show them where the problem is.  The feedback is just put at the top of their doc.

A detour was prompted by a quick check of  What’s New in Google led me to another post Create Cloze Reading Activities with Google Sheets and Other Tools.  I used his first suggestion, http://l.georges.online.fr/tools/cloze.html, to make a Cloze activity.  You can see it here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15skb4kXOpIi4ccd4Kao1g9cnmXsr8ptwyGlxp0kGSmg/edit?usp=sharing This seems to be a great tool for teachers as you can choose every nth word, articles, prepositions, wh- words, and more OR you can choose your own words to eliminate.  These could be your target spelling/vocabulary words of the week.  The Google Sheet Template he offers does not seem as good because you have to specify the number word you want to delete, such as every 8th word.

I know I am jumping around a little, but an incident at school really got me worrying about security with Google Drive.  Not that I am keeping anything personally valuable there, but as a school we are sharing more student data via Google Drive for RtI and DDI purposes, for example.  We know that there was some sort of error in sharing at school and it seems like it would be SOOOO easy to click the wrong name when you are sharing if you are at all distracted (which for me is any time before 4 pm as everyone and there brother comes into the library to ask me for help!) I did decide to create two big folders for my school Drive account: Student and Teacher with the teacher folder being view only at the get-go, but I am sure that there must be a better way to go about this.  I asked the IT guys to explore/create Google groups in the hopes that we could somehow restrict access to things via Google group (Student, Teacher, etc.), but that won’t help for a while –if they get to it at all. Does anyone have any advice on where to learn more about this?  I will post on the discussion board as well.

A quick search led me to 4 Important Google Drive Skills for Teachers to Learn by @LauraCallisen She made the following suggestions:
  • Make sure your Google account is secure and that you use a strong password. It is also a good idea to set any devices that you may use to access the Google account you use as teacher to not save passwords.
  • If you have documents that are for your eyes only, keep them on Google drive folders that you do not share. 
  • Create multiple folders for different users and different purposes. Don’t try to put everything in or two places and hope that you’ve secured things correctly. A general rule of thumb is that if you allow someone access to a folder, you should assume they will be able to access all of the documents within that folder.
  • Create groups so that you do not have to set permissions on an individual level
  • Finally, select permissions by selecting the folder, clicking into the share button and then setting permissions.
A lot of that went along with what I was already thinking.

I also checked out 10 Tips for Folders in Google Drive.  Although it didn’t really give me any good ideas, it is a good source of info about how to use Google Drive, organize it, and change permissions.

Well, all in all, I think this Thing gave me a lot to work with.
 


2 comments:

  1. Wowza!! You did SOOO much for this lesson. Thanks for all the info you shared. I'm going to try to run this workshop on Google Classroom next year, so I'll be looking back at your tips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps - in your example ebook, you wondered about sharing younger students google docs work. Could you do screenshots of their work and then add those screenshots as images on a slide? Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete