Saturday, February 22, 2014

Thing 5: Digital Storytelling & Presentation Tools


I took a look at Thing 5: Digital Storytelling & Presentation Tools to see what I didn't know about there.  I looked at the Don't Let the Pigeon be the Principal   story.  It is very cute and I'm sure that the kids had a ball, but what was the rest of the class doing when one kid was narrating and (maybe) one was filming with a third moving the pigeon?  I just have a hard time thinking that this is the best use of our limited time with students.  Maybe it is because I don't see the same students every day and what with assemblies and testing and such, I am lucky to see any given class 25 times a year.

I also looked at the example, Science Time.  Although it was pretty lame in itself, I decided to explore the ZimmerTwins tool.  It seemed pretty intuitive and had a nice intro movie on How to make a Movie.  I liked that joining was free and that kids needed parental permission to join as the password is sent to the e-mail address for mom and dad (if the kid doesn't lie).  However, the fact that you can't edit after you save is very disappointing.  Also, you need a VIP membership (which costs $$) share your movie.  Too bad as it had so many possibilities.  I'd love to know of a similar tool that let you edit and doesn't cost $$.  I could see teaching that to a class, perhaps as part of a lesson on writing instructions/how-to nonfiction.

The ToonDoo tool seemed interesting, especially after I saw the Lifecycles examples.  It seems easy to use, but it is limited.  They only let you make such short cartoons.  Four panels is the max.  That is the same as some of the other cartoon creators I have tried, like Makebeliefscomix .

Then, the links for "I'm Thankful for Teachers" and "The First Book I've Ever Liked" jumped out at me.  While I get that the glogs are booktalks, I don't think that they prove that the kids read the books.  A simple google search for a book's title would easily give you enough information to complete a glog like this.  I guess it depends on what you are grading.  The ability to create the glog or the completion, comprehension, and connection to a book.  I also have to say that this is another have/have not assignment.  My library doesn't have enough computers for every student to have their own to work on.  Many of my students don't have broadband or Fios or even real access to a computer at home.  I can imagine that this would work great in many suburban schools, though I'm still not sure what I would be grading.  I get that the blogger, Sarah Ludwig, would like to let the kids create these glogs or trailers just to encourage reading, but as a teacher tied to APPR and who works hard to support the curricular goals, I totally understand that the teachers need to have a purpose for their time usage.  Perhaps Ms. Ludwig should create a club for students who want to work on projects to encourage reading.  I'm sure that there are students who would join.

I appreciated seeing the list of CC image search tools and music.  I love StoryCorps.  So many people love Prezi, but I guess it is my engineer, left-brain personality, but Prezi drives me NUTS!  Just like people who use PowerPoint and change the background, the font, the colors, and the transitions all of the time.  Yes, I get it.  You were playing, but come on, don't do it when you are presenting to your peers.  I expect that from children, but not adults!  I tend to use SMART Notebook because I have a SMARTboard in my room, but I can easily use PowerPoint. 


In other ideas...
I want to get into using Audacity.  I hoped to get the time during this vacation, but it didn't happen.  


I also think that I will take a look again at
Thing 6: Curation Tools.  But maybe I will save that for another time.  I finally signed up for Pinterest this year, but I have almost nothing pinned.  Maybe I will use this idea in case I don't like on of the next few "Things."  I've done enough for today I think.  I believe I am all caught up!



No comments:

Post a Comment